These free lesson plans have been developed by Let Toys Be Toys as part of our work to help challenge gender stereotypes. Many thanks to the teachers who helped with their advice and feedback. If you have any feedback or additional ideas, please add them in the comments or email us.
- Primary and Early Years lesson plan: ages 4-6
- Primary lesson plan: ages 7-9
- Primary lesson plan: ages 9-11
- Secondary lesson plan: ages 13-14
- Discussion material: images, videos, articles
- Further reading and resources
Lesson plans on gender bias in children’s books from VotesforSchools
- KS1 Powerpoint Are boys and girls equal in books?
- KS 1 lesson plan Are boys and girls equal in books?
- KS 2 Powerpoint Do we need more female villains in books?
- KS 2 lesson plan Do we need more female villains in books?
- KS 3/4 Powerpoint Do bestselling books encourage sexism?
- KS 3/4 lesson plan Do bestselling books encourage sexism?