In 2014 we’ve concentrated our efforts on gendered books and are starting to look at how we tackle the manufacturers themselves. So have the retailers stuck to their promises in the meantime? Read more…
- Before: Science and construction toys under 'gifts for boys' at Boots in 2012
- After: Signs replaced by 'gifts for children' in May 2013.
- Before: Debenhams told us that 'Boys' and 'Girls' signs made it easier for shoppers. (Croydon, June 2013, tweeted by @sillyna)
- After: In October 2013 Debenhams announced the would change toy departments with inclusive colours and thematic shelving. (Cork, November 2013)
- Before: The Entertainer toy chain organised all their stores into 'boys' and 'girls' sections.
- After: From 2013 the Entertainer's new store decor organises by theme, and includes pictures of girls and boys.
- Before: Toys organised separately at Fenwick in Newcastle early in 2013.
- After: : Organised by theme by November 2013
- Before: Craft kits for girls at Hobbycraft in March. (Reading, March 2013)
- After: Great, inclusive signs, organising by theme and activity, and new inclusive own-brand ranges. (Reading, June 2013)
- Before: Science toys, watches, pens and animals labelled as 'Boys stuff' at M&S, while all the craft materials were branded 'Lil' Miss Arty'. (Cardiff, September 2013)
- After: Marks and Spencer have said that all their toy ranges will be gender-neutral by the Spring, like this colourful new art and craft range.
- Before: Morrison's told us in July that they would be removing these 'Girls' toys' and 'Boys Toys' signs from stores. (Guiseley, November 2013, supplied by @seany85)
- After: The old signs are still up in many stores. Some branches now have these signs. We don't think this is much of an improvement. (Bolton, November 2013, supplied by @JoshHapless)
- Before: All toys were labelled as 'boys' in Next at Christmas 2012. (Cardiff, December 2012)
- After: A more inclusive Toy Shop at Next this year. (Cardiff, December 2013)
- Before: 'Boys' and 'girls' signs and shelf-edge labelling at TKMaxx.
- After: Toys organised by theme and type.
- Before: 'Girls' and 'boys' toys signs at Wilkinson in 2012.
- After: New signs, and also home-play toys in gender neutral colours with photos of girls and boys on the packaging at Wilkinson this year.
We launched our campaign in 2012, and by the end of 2013, we’re proud that far fewer toys were displayed under ‘boys’ and ‘girls’ signs. Take a look at some of the changes and read more about what retailers have committed to do.
Department store Debenhams say that putting toys under large pink and blue signs saying ‘Boys’ and ‘Girls’ helps shoppers. We don’t agree.